Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Katie's Prom Outfit


Katie wants to go to her Junior Prom. She has expressed this for months and has also expressed that she is NOT wearing a dress, she wants to wear a tuxedo. I'll bet you know how happy I was about this one!!!!! I did my usual let me think about it routine, hoping that she would come to her senses but not this time!!! She continued that she wanted to wear a tuxedo - she wanted to go the prom and NOT in a dress. Why couldn't I understand and on and on and on!!!! Finally, I told her that tuxedos are made for men and it would be very difficult to fit her. I explained that she would look awful in a men's tuxedo and that women's tuxedo's are made for little people! Then and this was hard to do in the first place, I talked her into a women's pant suit. Well the day comes when we set up the schedule for shopping - I have been dreading the pant suit shopping for about 5 weeks already and now we have made a date. I realize that I have absolutely no idea where to take her shopping so the day before we were to go shopping, I talked to a lady at my office to find out where she would suggest we go. She says City Place and then she told me that she had a black and white long dress that would be a perfect tuxedo dress. She asked if I wanted it? She told me that someone had given it to her and she wanted to give it to Katie. I told her I didn't think Katie would go for it, but I would try.


Well, the next day, my friend brings in the dress, it is a strapless (really pretty) black and white satin dress. It is very pretty!!! I put it in the back of my car and I go to Katie's school to pick her up. On Wednesdays she attends a club (a club of people like her), so I pick her up from school. Well, it just so happens that she has asked me to take a friend of hers home on that day - so she and her friend get in the car. Almost immediately, Katie asks what is in the backseat, I tell her it is a prom dress. She says "NO WAY" - the girl says, why don't you try it, it is pretty!!! This goes on for a few minutes, I keep my mouth shut!!! Katie agrees to try it on and we take it home and it FITS!!! It looks really good on her!!! But NO WAY - She has her heart set on a pant suit now so off we go (Katie and I) to City Place to find her a pant suit.


After trying on several pant suits for approximately 2 hours - one after the other - this shirt, that shirt, this jacket, that jacket on and on and on!!!! (This is what hell is like) Each one looking worse than the last and I could hear my checkbook clinging, she looks at me and says "Mommy, I think I looked the best in that dress!!!" Well, my eyes brighten up and I realize I need to be calm. If I look too excited, if I act like it is my idea, then there is no way that she will go for the dress. I say, yep, the dress looked the best on you! So we bought a black strapless bra and a jacket because she is not sure of the strappless part of the dress and we went home. Katie will now wear a dress to the prom.


See below....



No comments:

Post a Comment